Thread: Coonley School - as good as they say it is/will be?

Coonley School - as good as they say it is/will be?

From what I can gather, Coonley School recently received a grant to create a Regional Gifted Center. That's great, of course, if you live in the neighborhood and your child tests into the RGC.

But will that improve the school overall? I'm hearing that Bell received the same grant and created an RGC, which improved the school overall and made the neighborhood and the school all the more desirable.

Apparently people are now flocking to the Coonley neighborhood boundaries with the thought that Bell will be the same. I might be one of them, but I want to make sure I understand correctly what is going on.

Coonley rates at 8 with Great Schools, which is pretty good, but it's not currently as high as some of the "big name" neighborhood schools on the Chicago Magazine ratings list (Bell/Burley/Audubon/etc). Will that change once the RGC is in place? And how long will it be before the school is "great"? (Or is it already great?)

I'm a newbie to all of this, so thank you for your patience!

That's a great question, Amanda. Great Schools must have updated their ratings for the most recent test scores. Coonley is now a 7. The RGC at Coonley as been open for a few years now, but I'm not sure how far up it goes in grades right now (the neighborhood part goes through grade 8, the RGC adds a grade each year until it hits grade 8). I'm also not sure that, of the grades that have an RGC, how many RGC classrooms there are vs. how many neighborhood classrooms there are. I'd like to know since the RGC would bring up the school's test scores. I'd like to be able to back into what the neighborhood scores are. Oh, and fyi - the RGC is not for neighborhood kids only. It is a test-in for kids from anywhere in the city.

Coonley (like Bell's) biggest problem is that it is now overcrowded. There is no way they can maintain all 4 of their programs 1) neighborhood 2) special needs 3) pre-school and 4) RGC in the existing space. Every year they graduate one class and gain 4 !

The RGC goes up to 5th grade. I think the big 'test' will come when those 5th graders hit 7th grade- will they opt to stay at Coonley or move on to Academic Centers?

Coonley is a wonderful school. As others have posted, it has become very popular, but for good reason, and is now becoming overcrowded. The Principal is committed to keeping the programs there, although pre-k will probably have to go. The composition of the neighborhood really no longer justifies using Pre-K for All funds--which are intended for at-risk children. It could become a tuition pre-k, especially when we finally get the addition that wonderful Alderman Pawar has committed $ too, but CPS bureaucracy has bungled per usual. Bell will certainly have there addition first. I know less about the neighborhood program but I think families are very happy. I wouldn't jump to move to the neighborhood though before checking class size; every neighborhood child has to be accepted which could cause class sizes to explode. RGC, at this point, starts at 28 and then goes up to 31 by 4th grade. We are part of the first RGC class which is now in 5th grade and are so excited that our kids are being taught by a beloved former Bell teacher.

If you are curious about the classroom composition at Coonley, they have a list of all their teachers here.

http://www.coonley.org/index.php?opt...d=75&Itemid=82

So for K-5, one of each of those rooms is the options program. I know for K it is Ms. Hamilton-Ms.Grzych (two because Ms.Hamilton's maternity leave) but I couldn't tell you which of the older grades' rooms is the options one.

My oldest won't be in K until next year, but I enjoy looking at this once in a while to see what kind of things he might be doing if he attended Coonley as I assess our school choice for next year.

I'm a Coonley RGC parent (1st), with a 5th grader at Decatur. Coonley is by FAR the preferable of the two schools in our opinion. By FAR. Thry consider the whole child, not just their test scores. We've found it to be such a breath of fresh air compared to Decatur, truly. While I adore most teachers and many parents at Decatur, the administration is abhorrent, and cares nothing about either their rampant bullying problem (going on since our kids were barely in 2nd grade) or the welfare of the emotional health of the children. Very sad, indeed. (They also have zero accommodation for parents with disabilities either at pick-up or drop-off). Coonley is open, warm, inviting, available. I can volunteer in the classroom (never permitted at Decatur) and I can walk my child to class (also never permitted at Decatur). The administration is accessible and accommodating. Fabulous school. We are considering sending our Decatur grad there for 7th and 8th grade, which says a lot..

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
    From what I can gather, Coonley School recently received a grant to create a Regional Gifted Center. That's great, of course, if you live in the neighborhood and your child tests into the RGC.

But will that improve the school overall? I'm hearing that Bell received the same grant and created an RGC, which improved the school overall and made the neighborhood and the school all the more desirable.

Apparently people are now flocking to the Coonley neighborhood boundaries with the thought that Bell will be the same. I might be one of them, but I want to make sure I understand correctly what is going on.

Coonley rates at 8 with Great Schools, which is pretty good, but it's not currently as high as some of the "big name" neighborhood schools on the Chicago Magazine ratings list (Bell/Burley/Audubon/etc). Will that change once the RGC is in place? And how long will it be before the school is "great"? (Or is it already great?)

I'm a newbie to all of this, so thank you for your patience!

Turn Your Customers Into Friends Using Social Media Marketing

<p>tips that might fit your pocket book for a DIY Latex Foam Mattress. Assuming that buying a new all latex mattress is out of your budget then consider this, buy the cheapest and firmest spring or poly foam mattress you can find. Usually around $300 or less depending on size. And she is. All except one. Major Mark "The Viper" Henderson is the one man who can take her on head to head, but neither can win. <p>Court marriage in India is being considered to be a legal proof of marriage and also give various rights to life companions. Thus special Indian court marriage laws are enforced and followed strictly. People should know that court marriage laws in India are strict and there are constraints or eligibility which people have to fulfill at the time of applying for court marriage in India. Mulberry Bags Bayswater Sale Mulberry Uk Sale Vineyard Mulberry Lily Bag N Noun Mulberry Uk Sale N Buy Mulberry Usa Handbags Yellow <p>Sun, 13 Nov 2011 16:08:01 0500Pine Single Bed With MattressIt's a lovely and relaxing feeling to be in the bedroom. As we walk into a bedroom a feeling of calm and warmth washes over us and this is mainly due to the sight of the bed. Having a pine single bed could certainly enhance this feeling.</p>. <p>In addition, by transferring your debt to an American Express credit card, you will get a better interest rate. The basic American Express credit card offers an interest rate of 4.99% on your balance transfers. This low rate takes effect after the six month trial period ends. <p>Most die hard players opt for a high end gaming system built on the foundation of both what is suggested by Blizzard and meets their personal needs. Whether you are an amateur or consider yourself a professional, ev . To begin with the match as a entire was established to be darkish and gritty, but it was located that monsters blended in as well nicely with the history. Mulberry Restaurant Lackawanna Leather Mulberry Tree Yellow Leaves Summer Mulberry Handbags Sale Real Estate Mulberry Quilted Bag Rental Mulberry Jody Bag <p>Whether visiting or relocating to Tampa, Florida corporate housing has many uses for employees, military personnel and students. Furnished apartments in Tampa is the best way to have an at home feel, and enjoy the comforts of home. Staying in a hotel can become drab, boring and even depressing but when staying in a furnished apartment in Tampa, guests have the amenities and freedom to live their lifestyle as they normally would, and a comfortable place to call home, for the duration of their stay in Florida.</p>. It achingly American. And as a guy who enjoys statistics, it a dream come true. I also love baseball because it a sport where physical gifts alone won make you great you need to have a brain for the game as well. Now you definitely heard about all of these. You probably already take them in your day to day diet but why are each of these significant and why should you take it. Well vitamin C really helps because everybody really knows it's a great antioxidant. Mulberry Purse N Boots Mulberry Wholesale Unlimited Mulberry Home Wholesale Artificial Flowers Mulberry Handbags Purses Qvc Mulberry Purse Shepton Mallet <p>His wife or girlfriend came out and several kids that were friends of his little daughter were so happy as they got into the limo. He came over and told me he already told his daughter how he had gotten a limo to drive her and her friends to her grandmother's house for her birthday party. I thought that man was pretty sure of himself because he said that to her before he asked me even, but I could tell this was all in some sort of divine plan. One way is developing a great elevator speech. This is basically a 10 15 second introductory statement about the strong points of your business that is going to spark the interest of the person on the other end of the phone. Follow up your elevator speech with an open ended question to get your prospect talking and then be a good listener. <p>Moreover, shoot themselves in the foot is definitely the last thing Samsung would like to do, they must have foreseen some potential demand then they want to consider to build a new fab to meet those demand. They are not fools, why would they burn billions of dollars to build something the market does not want? Their move is a good indication that the market is in healthy condition. Apple has upgraded the memory of iPads to 2GB from 1GB and they are Elpida's RAM. Mulberry Handbags Repairs Mulberry Jewelry Mulberry Purse Authentication Purse Forum Mulberry Outlet York Mulberry Bag Sale Uk <p>You want to wear sunglasses but then you're terrified that they would just make you look much older than how you are? Well, go for the aviator sunglasses then. These glasses are renowned for being terribly classic and yet keeping up the popular look in you at the very same time. Why don't you try checking out the vintage aviator glasses which may be the shades you're looking for? To discover more about these sunglasses, ensure you continue to read and you'll find plenty of pointers on the way to get your own pair of vintage aviator glasses without squandering your money.</p>. <p>I upvoted you because I feel the same way, when I worked retail. Hell, I still feel that way when I see some other asshole customer in front of me treating the cashier like shit over a mistake the customer themselves made. But look up Harry Gordon Selfridge, the founder of Selfridge (department store). <p>This particular example of ridiculously obvious product placement is kind of hard to condemn The Lego Movie was a huge hit and managed to be funny and insightful enough to make an impression on critics and audiences alike. As someone who has yet to see it, I have a sneaking suspicion that, when it comes to selling stuff on screen, this movie might be way more evil than its incredibly dumb counterparts but I have to see Lego financial records from 2014 to be sure of its secret sales effectiveness. Yup, that definitely gonna happen in my lifetime.</p>. Mulberry Bag Ebay Uk Mulberry Cara Delevingne Lion Bag Mulberry Bayswater Bag Kote Mulberry Primrose Purseforum Mulberry Joel Purseforum