Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IB offerings in Chicago area

IB offerings in Chicago area

I actually taught in the International Baccalaureate program before I stopped teaching to focus on parenting our five children. I am thinking a couple of them would benefit from a pre-IB curriculum and then a full IB program during the high school years. How prevalent is IB in Chicago public schools? Three of our children are adopted and do come from different cultural backgrounds. I love how IB delves deeply into the subject areas as well as it demands students take a cross-section of courses, even if they might not be strong in one particular area. What areas of Chicago have particularly strong IB program with high percentages of students who earn the IB diploma?

As far as private schools go, I know the British School and the Lycee Francais both have IB programs leading to the IB diploma.

Lincoln Park High School also has an IB Diploma Program.

And I know there are several others: Curie, Senn, etc. but I do not if they are "truly" IB programs with a high number of graduates earning the diploma.

All IB programs are "truly" IB programs. The whole point of external certification is consistent adherence to standards. Anyone have a comprehensive list of current and future Chicago IB schools?

I don't have a list of IB programs, but I have a little information. In addition to those listed above, I know that Amundsen and Ogden International have IB programs. Ogden's program was just approved, but I was very impressed.

Curie's program has the highest percentage of students earning IB diplomas, after Lincoln Park.

There are also several elementary schools that offer the primary and/or middle years programs (including Ogden) but I don't know which of them accept out-of-district students.
    Last edited by Family Friend; 09-22-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Below is a link to the CPS site with a lot of info on IB programs, from the Primary Years (K-5) to Middle Years (6-10) to Diploma (11-12). CPS already had about a dozen schools with the IB program in their high schools. In spring 2012, they announced that they would convert five high schools to all-IB schools. They've already announced four of those, I think: Senn, Clemente, Hyde Park and Back of the Yards. However, it's a little confusing in that they basically admit there will be a two-tier IB program in the schools: One that all the kids are in by default, and then an honors level one that motivated kids who show interest and past achievement will be admitted to. Still, it's great to shoot high for all kids. The timeline for going "wall to wall IB" was in fall 2013.

http://cpsmagnet.org/apps/pages/inde...pREC_ID=165451

Sturgis, a charter school in Hyannis, Mass., is a pioneer in "IB for All." They are doing a good job in a declining working class area. I think their philosophy, that all kids can benefit from IB courses -- through senior year -- even if they don't get an IB diploma, is working very well. Their website is at http://www.sturgischarterschool.org/.

The structure and implementation status of IB programs across the city varies quite a bit. I'll be happy to answer any questions I can about Senn's program, but can't speak much to the others.

There's a lot of discussion about upper grades IB but there are some CPS schools with middle years and primary years IB programs. If the information at the International Baccalaureate Organization is up to date, here are your choices:

http://www.ibo.org/school/search/ind...d_schools=Find

Interesting that there are only five northside CPS schools with the MYP: Wildwood (enrollment area magnet), Amundsen (only 9th grade but they have IB from 9th-12th), Locke (neighborhood), McPherson (neighborhood, open enrollment) and Mayer (magnet).

BTW I hear from the new IB coordinator at McPherson that they are trying to get PYP certification. Wildwood is the only northside CPS school with the PYP.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
    Interesting that there are only five northside CPS schools with the MYP...
    The big push to expand DP down through MYP started a couple of years ago, so there are many schools that should be on the verge of authorization. I would guess there should be at least a dozen new MYP-authorized schools in the next year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Donn View Post
    All IB programs are "truly" IB programs. The whole point of external certification is consistent adherence to standards. Anyone have a comprehensive list of current and future Chicago IB schools?
    Whitley explained that truly meant with a high number of graduates earning the diploma. The rate for Chicago is very low (only 20% pass v. 80% passing worldwide). Family Friend, do you have a source on the pass rates?