Thread: Mark Sheridan Math and Science Academy

Mark Sheridan Math and Science Academy

Hey, everyone. My son received an offer from Mark Sheridan. I have read good things about the school, what do you know about it? We are hoping to visit the school, but would like to hear from others about the school.

I think you can tell a lot just from the stats --

http://schoolinfo.cps.edu/schoolprof...choolId=610081

Also, see the reviews here --

http://www.greatschools.org/illinois...ience-Academy/

It looks really great to me! If you would show me those stats, I would definitely guess that this is a selective enrollment school, not lottery!

You might also ask on their Facebook page? https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mark-...33409616729552

Tell people they are welcome to write to you directly via email as people might not be as forthcoming with any criticism posting on the public facebook page :-)

Hope this helps!
    Eric

Does anyone one know if we accept an offer for a school (not the first one on our list), is there a chance that another school will contact us later in the year? We're on the lower teens on our wait list of the school of our choice and what's the possibility of getting into that school?

I don't totally understand this, but from my understanding:

There's a difference between Selective Enrollment (gifted and classical) and the magnet schools where you are accepted by lottery.

As soon as you accept at a Selective Enrollment school, they take you out of the pool for consideration at other Selective Enrollment schools, but NOT for magnet schools.

Also, when you accept at a Magnet school, you are NOT taken out of consideration for anything, you are still under consideration for both Selective Enrollment and other magnet school's waiting lists.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong!

Eric

Really interested in knowing if Sheridan has started making calls yet. We have a single digit WL number for Kindergarten. Anybody getting any calls/emails yet?

Just got of the phone with Sheridan and was told today (Fri. 5/9) was the last day for parents to accept offered spots and that they would be making calls next week. They asked what my child was on the WL (Tier 1 #3 for K) and said I could call back next Friday to check my status. The woman on the phone was very polite and I thanked her for letting me bother her about the WL and she told me it was no problem at all. Very excited and hope my son gets in here.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Eric