Thread: Should I take my kid out of public school?

Should I take my kid out of public school?

Hello everyone,
    My son in a 2nd grade in a decent Far Northwest Side School (great school rating 7 & 8 in last two years), and while I thought that the school was decent enough for my kids, I am starting to think that it might not be a good fit for him. It looks like he is not being challenged enough. Lately we have been having problems with teacher complaining that he is not paying attention at all, is not concentrated at work and distracts other kids. She is almost expecting me to punish him in some way, but I don't think it would be right. He has all A's, he is always eager to learn new things with me at home, and the homework is a total bore. For example, every week he has spelling words that he needs to write in 3 different ways and hand the papers in on Friday. I can see that he is so bored with doing that, and I almost feel like I should not push him to do it, since he already knows the meaning, spelling and everything about these words. No wonder he is bored with doing it. Almost all homework is like that. He should be spending 20-40 minutes a night doing things that he already mastered, and if he does not do it, we are in trouble. I am at the point where I am thinking of telling him to stop doing the homework and give him our own homework to do every night. I also think that his discipline problem is a consequence of the fact that he is not being challenged. He is well behaved kid, he is not rude to teacher or other kids, he does what he is expected to do, the problem is just that he cannot stay concentrated for 7 hours. Also, the new problem I see that he started being proud of himself being the smartest kid, and knowing everything without even having to do the work like other kids. I don't like that new attitude.
    All being said, do I have a better option for him within CPS system or somewhere else? We never tried to test into gifted and classical schools, because he started learning English when he was in pre k, so he would not be able to perform well. We could afford private school, even though it would not be easy, but we are not catholic, and all options around here are Catholic schools. We respect everyones religion, but I am not sure how these schools function. Do you have to be catholic, do kids attend masses etc? I am not sure if you can apply to magnet schools once you are past kindergarten. As for gifted schools, would he be able to get in at this point. My guess is that they are testing the already gained knowledge, not ability to learn, and being from public school he is probably not at their level. Finally, do magnets and private schools have advanced curriculum, or are they simply better in some other aspects? Is there an option for him that would provide advanced curriculum and more challenge?

Calliope

Hi - you should definitely sign him up for the gifted and classical tests this year. A few spots open in each class each year as kids leave the city etc. Also, around 3rd grade, the class sizes can increase to around 31 kids so some additional spots open up.
    YOu can also see what happens with the magnet and open enrollment lottery.

There is probably a school that could challenge him more. If you're open to moving during this school year, you could call around to some of the neigbhrohood schools with good reputations to see about a transfer.

My understanding about Catholic schools is that religion is rather integrated throughout everything (well, maybe not math, but it's not like there is 45 min of religion a few times a week. You have to be fairly open to ongoing religious references. But my understanding is also that plenty of non-Catholic kids attend them. Probably more of a stretch if your family isn't christian or religious at all. But they can certainly be a great education value compared to other privates.

Calliope,

Welcome to the forums!

I agree, you should sign up for the gifted and classical tests. The selective enrollment schools (gifted and classical) are definitely more challenging. I don't know if a catholic or private school is going to be any more challenging.

Students have to perform fairly high on the test to get into a selective enrollment school. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think of the entering K-level kids who apply and take the tests, only the top 5% or 10% get any offers from an SE school. For higher grades it really depends on the specific school and how much turnover there is, but as the previous poster mentioned, entering 3rd grade is a great time to apply as there are spots added at I think all the schools.

I would recommend to apply for the tests right away, the application period for next year (fall 2014) is open now. http://www.cpsoae.org/ Then start looking at open houses of SE schools near you. I don't know the whole system that well, but some schools to definitely consider include Edison RGC, Decatur Classical, Skinner North Classical, etc. http://www.cpsoae.org/apps/pages/ind...D=72695&type=d

Actually I think you might have to pick your schools when applying for the tests, and you might have missed some open houses (Skinner North's was yesterday), but I wouldn't worry too much about it. You'd probably do fine just to select the ones closest to you and then see if you get any offers.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...5,0.88028&z=10

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...e11082761&z=10

The classical test is more "what you have learned" i.e. math & reading questions. The gifted test is more of an IQ/logic test. I don't really understand the rationale of having two separate types of programs & schools, I believe that in practice the curriculum ends up being pretty much the same, i.e. accelerated and your kid would be surrounded by a lot of other smart kids.

Calliope,

If you live on the NW side, Beaubien RGC may be a good location to also look into. Other schools not mentioned above are Bell & Coonley, although maybe not quite as close to you.

ksiyoto comments on Sliding across the salt lakes without human interaction

<p>Luxottica reported a slight improvement in Q4 (+2%), more pronounced in November and December, up 4.7% like for like. The stability of the wholesale division, which is slightly disappointing, results from a negative mix impact which has offset a 6% rise in volumes. Retail sales performed better, returning to 3.4% growth like for like.
    Rolex Pro Hunter Convicted Sacramento killer gets extra 10 years for pimping <p>Stay at Regent Singapore to take advantage of a great location close to business areas, the central shopping and entertainment district of Orchard Road and the Botanic Garden. Among the excellent facilities and amenities offered by one of the well known luxury hotels in Singapore are well appointed contemporary rooms and suites, seven restaurants serving a range of international and Cantonese cuisine, modern fitness facilities, and a range of invigorating and relaxing spa therapies complemented by excellent service. This prominent luxury hotel Singapore ensures that its guests are free to experience this multi faceted city by taking good care of all their basic needs.</p>.
    ugg donna Henri Dutilleux Sunglasses are an ongoing trend but their styles and designs keep on changing. Sunglasses for women need to be trendy and classic. They need to be colorful and the quality should be par excellence.
    fendi borse immagini 10 Famous Fake Antiques and the Suckers Who Bought Them <p>Another common problem with eyeglasses is the loosening of the screws due to regular handling. The loose screw eventually falls off, separating the hinge from the glasses. You can easily replace the screw with any of the screws provided with the kit.
    catalogo borse fendi Drinking with China lonely tycoons The Supreme Oil Mask is a great mask to use for extremely dry hair because it has avocado oil, argon oil and shea butter which are all great things for penetrating and moisturizing curly hair. So after the hair has been shampooed and towel dried, you want to go through and separate the hair and just kind of divide it. When you have a lot of hair like this, you want to try and get as much of it out of the way so that you can work it through in smaller sections.
    ugg parma Author and Publishing Features <p>I not sure where he getting the Braum is an easy champ either. His kit requires a comprehensive understanding of ALL champions. You need to understand what his shield can/cannot block and how it blocks it ie nami bubble explodes when she hits his shield but it still affects all champions near braum at the point of impact.</p>.
    nike air max defy run review Morgan Creek Golf and Country Club <p>A pirate wench costume basic material is the dress with a corset. The skirt of the dress may be long for that classic look with cutting edge hemline or short for that sexy appeal. Layered skirts also look good with lace or ruffles at the end.
    ballerines longchamps Gisele Bundchen Replaces Kate Moss As New Face Of Stuart Weitzman It doesn't matter if you just build one sales page or a 50 page web site, you have to be able to adjust it at all times. The internet is undergoing changes by the day! Again, you can learn this completely free with online courses and free HTML programs. Unfortunately you don't have any visitors yet! This will be a long time investment and you will have to do it the hard way.
    ugg australia kensington black Internet giants can earn with ease <p>The Foreign Language Building, also known as the Art Building, was built in 1902 by the same designer of Academic Hall and Carnahan Hall. Built as the companion to Carnahan Hall, it is identical to Carnahan Hall except for the pair of small towers that were added later for dramatic effect. The Art Building currently houses the Language and Anthropology Departments of the College of Liberal Arts.</p>.
    longchamp le pliage small tote Historia del bolso Sometimes, this task can be really challenging and so difficult to click at the best moments. They move on here and there clicking them and capturing just the best shot on a perfect time is what that really matters. This is why you need to approach a professional photographer that can offer you the best services of baby photography either in Miami or somewhere else in the world.
    sac longchamp legende pas cher 501 now the heavy lifting starts If bought with care and a little vigilance, it can actually be a good steal. Apart from being a fashion accessory, this little forethought before buying them from a sunglasses shop in India, it could act as an effective shield against burning hot summers as well. So before your heart starts pumping faster and pops out to get those sunglasses right onto your face, at the same time, some homework could help you avoid many hassles as well.

Easy Solutions In Michael Kors Outlet Online Uncovered

<p>Is your dishwasher clean soon after a cycle or does it have a lot of residue? Dishwasher models are created in several sizes so no matter how large or tiny your kitchen is there is a model that will match perfectly in your kitchen. Heating element is much more pricey as compared to other replacement parts. Save money by permitting them to dry with the door open.
    longchamp site officiel How to Buy Heidiwood Clothing <p>Are you a salaried staff, necessitating an urgent mortgage? Nicely, do not waste time in knocking at the doors of kin and pals. You have a greater option as you can apply for rapidly Cash Loans that are intended specially for quickly approval. Quick income loans are immediate loans which are typically approved inside an hour of acquiring the personal loan software.
    mens ugg sale in Birmingham city centre forced to close due to pro <p>The most popular dive in Black Beard's diving itinery is the sharks dive. Caribbean reef tip sharks, huge nurse sharks even the elegant but ferocious tiger sharks are seen frequently. Colorful coral reefs teeming with marine life sit in depths of 15 100 feet, so divers of all levels of competency can get to enjoy the scuba diving experience in their Bahamas diving holiday.</p>.
    Air Jordan 93 Drinking with China lonely tycoons <p>On the other hand, buying online is definitely cheaper because opticians can do away with unnecessary costs and overheads, thus passing on these savings to the customer. This is the best benefit from buying glasses online. Also, this means that one can shop in the comforts of home, at any time of the day and not having to go out and transfer from store to store in search for the quality inexpensive frame.
    longchamp sac occasion utilitaire peugeot Basics of Bond Investing Nonetheless, the extension has grown utilized by almost anybody wanting to construct a Web web site. Domain name parking is a basic concept. Some for the names, nobody wishes anymore.
    fendi bag shirling Concord Mills Mall <p>There are many ways that using stainless cookware could benefit anyone from private users to chefs in leading restaurants. Cookware that is made out of stainless steel typically have a longer usage lifetime, if it is made with the highest quality materials. These types of pots and pans help to reduce uneven cooking and burning of foods.</p>.
    destockage longchamps Do the homework on home work Can be done what can't be done what resources are available. It may be that. You and a group of of Zimbabwe.
    nike air max 360 diamond griffey Agri varsity to accelerate fish production to enhance its income <p>It has been said that r/firstworldanarchists nostrums are devoid of logic and filled to the brim with hate and misinformation. I, in turn, allege that r/firstworldanarchists wants me to stop trying to fight on the battleground of ideas for our inalienable individual rights. Instead, it rather I adopt a new worldview.
    Tag Heuer Professional Watch iPhone app and stalled stolen truck leads police to suspects <p>A common mistake is when traders step into a trade with a sum of money which is equivalent to more than %25 of their deposit amount. Risking your entire balance for one trade is a guaranteed way to either get lucky on a few trades or in most cases to 'burn out' swiftly. Small trades allow better diversification of risk and the necessary time required to develop a binary options trading strategy.
    ugg boots for sale Francesca Zambello <p>Are we considering Wii U "next gen"? Because I probably would and it fantastic. The Xbox One (which I still think is a stupid name) and the PS4 haven had any games that have wowed me just yet. Everything that has been coming out lately has been either broken, underwhelming, or just plain bad.
    nike air max black and pink Lacrosse Players Apparently Smoke More Weed Than Any Other Athletes <p>Sunglasses are the most important part of our life as they protect our eyes from the discomforts caused by suns glare. Polarized sunglasses are the form of protective eyewear; they block the harmful UV rays which can cause serious eye problems like cataract, blindness, etc. Thus, by wearing sunglasses we can avoid such problems in the best way.

Justices Hear Love Triangle Meets States

<p>That is some major bullshit excuse. Putin has not only supported Assad for over a year before any sanctions applied, but he went head to head with US on the matter and managed to get his way. And US still didn apply the sanctions then.
    longchamp sac 66 boulevard raspail Inodoros alocados y extremos para tu ba The head gasket was intact (I had thought a failed head gasket would explain the symptoms), there was no evidence of: cylinder wall scoring, atypical piston wear/appearance, leaky valves, burned valves (all looked uniform and error free), warped head, warped block, warped valve cover, or casting irregularities of block/head/valve cover. There were no noises during shut down on the interstate to suggest connecting rod/bearing failure nor main bearing failure. It is very possible that the sudden loss of power may have been caused by low fuel levels (135 miles on a full tank of gas); but that wouldn't explain the smoking engine.
    fendi store locations al Paris lanza un espejo de realidad aumentada <p>With today's economy still struggling, many consumers have been selling old, unused products that they consider a "luxury". In the past, the list of items for sale has included gold jewe . For the first six months of 2012 the bottle holder an even customize it to make it more appealing to your child!.
    sacs longchamp cuir Borrow Designer Fashions Men under 35 must complete 19 and women under 35 must complete nine. Men under 35 must complete 19 sit ups and women under 35 must complete 15. Men must under 35 be able to reach 75 kilograms (165 pounds) of pressure in their combined left and right hand grips and women under 35 must reach 50 kilograms.
    ugg cheap sale Galaxy Entertainment Group The Essie brush is really great because it's not thick, it's just the right length for me and you can actually get really great detail with this brush. Sometimes if the stick is a little long, it takes longer strokes and it's a little harder to get such a nice beautiful even plow. So, you want to make sure the brush is not real thick.
    nike usa basketball jersey judge in Sacramento sentences tomato hauler for bankruptcy fraud <p>The product can apply to freshly cleansed skin or on surface of one of significant Skin Care's numerous skin serums. It smoothes on easily and absorbs abruptly. You can finish by applying a SPF or makeup on the surface of it products and solutions so desire.
    longchamp tschen Hulk Hogan says he broke up his daughter <p>It is one of the oldest brands in the fashion industry that has captures the attention of many people all over the world. This brand is admired by fashion lovers for its diverse and outstanding designs and features. Each of its models is different from other model.
    nike air max 90 pink MC Hammer Tweets About His The Akshaya Patra Foundation is one such Indian NGO for children charity that is implementing the programme since June 2000. This Indian NGO for children charity initially fed 1,500 children in five Government sc . This NGO for children was soon recognised for its services and requests from schools started pouring in.
    nike running english Ashlee Simpson and Evan Ross' Engagement Party <p>The trend. The media love to report on trends, and they can use all the trend watchers they can get. Wawa convenience stores won media attention with its trend stories about the 133 million Americans who eat outside the home daily and their need for family sized dinner deals on the commute home.</p>.
    sacs longchamp De Heilig Hartschool brengt een <p>You not in charge. Sure the game gives you control of the character but you are not Joel or rather, Joel is not you. The game gives you all this power over what you feel are your own actions and choices.
    borse della louis vuitton Envision Fall announces date <p>Nothing is a lot more frustrating than this happening at the airport. Although there are a handful of dog 5.11 backpack accessories with internal back support. Jansport backpack warran .

actress Sabah dies at 87

<p>Giving Gifts is fine, but most people nowadays are practical, that is why they are looking for Cheap Christmas Gifts to give to their fellow ones without hurting their pockets. Other ways on Cheap Christmas Gifts are Homemade Christmas Gift Ideas and food that you cook all by yourself. The true meaning of Christmas is love so whether it is cheap or expensive, the basic thing is you gave just because you wanted to not because he or she will return you some favor.</p>.
    magasin longchamp lyon Macerich Schedules Second Quarter 2014 Earnings Release And Conference Call Aluminum wears down quickly, although there are anodized pans that will cut down on reactivity and increase durability. If you opt for aluminum cookware, anodized is the best choice. Cast iron is good for searing steaks and a few other specialized cooking tasks, but you must keep your cast iron cookware seasoned to avoid sticking and pitting of the pan.
    ray ban sunglasses polarized 3364 n Loom bands dress I own a car showroom and there are varieties of cars displayed everyday for the customers. Hundreds of people visit my showroom everyday. I have employed many people in this display area for the better service of the customers.
    ray ban sunglasses 1960s hairstyles men mirror Administrator You will feel sore spots and it will feel tight, here's where the few hours in the shop start to come in.Find a shop with a bootfitter, someone who fits ski boots and not just sells them.They will ask you about your skiing be honest or you'll end up in the wrong boots. Tell them if you're still learning, plan to improve, type of terrain you ski and how you ski [hard fast or fun cruisey].Then they'll start to look at your foot, this should include a measurement, sore spots, arches, width. This could be a good time to mention your price range .Trying on the boot will include taking out the liner to ensure the shell is the correct size for your foot, they will poke and prod the boot.
    longchamps backpack Dozens of counterfeit items seized from Middletown store They had a rehab class that we went to once a week and all it was were people telling their awesome drug stories. I had never been in trouble before in my life, so this has had a long term effect on my mental well being. I did receive clemency and ended up getting out after serving roughly 3 and a half months but that was still too long.</p>.
    longchamp sac zapa pollution Cottage of Sweets stuffs 600 candies into 300 square feet It is very convenient to use as the container can be easily placed on a desk or a welcoming area of a business. It can be on a wall or in a lobby. These containers will show off the information that the business wants the customer to know about without taking attention away from the information itself.Often you will see these containers in the doctor offices.
    st francois longchamp forfait annual sale through Saturday Asking yourself why this person is important will automatically make you start thinking of reasons why that person is.Arrogance can make you ignorant. Especially when your arrogance can get in the way of someone helping you with a big problem that you may have. Like the old saying goes, "you can judge a book by it cover".
    site officiel longchamp Australian couple abandon surrogate Down <p>The market is awash with fancy rare whiskies and high end value added product. How to drive home the pricey package for journalists? Simple: Put us behind the wheel of the 2013 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S and throw us on a test track (no whisky consumed on the course). While the 911, celebrating its 50th anniversary this year, doesn't directly relate to Oakley or Macallan, the goal was clear: Design and purpose beyond reason.
    ugg handbags Marloes Horst Is The Newest Face Of Maybelline New York In manufacturing sites, it is very difficult to manage heavy loads manually. Material handler products such as carts and trucks reduce extra manual effort for transporting materials. Possibilities of work related injuries can also be eliminated to a great extent with these material handling carts and trucks.
    polo gucci uomo Kate Middleton Heats Up Valentine's Day with Body Nr vi har tagit en titt p Paradise Seeds, kommer vi att ta ytterligare ett p Sagarmatha frn. Bda utsdesfre . The project is being located at Baner area, which is in close vicinity of all the other key locations like school, institutions and health centres.
    nike air max flyknit 2014 Gildan Activewear Inc <p>Like numerous celebrities, Bieber has no real selection however to wear dark glasses an honest deal. In part, this can be done to assist hide from the paparazzi United Nations agency square measure invariably on the path of a celebrities the likes of Bieber. However this young star's obvious romance with glasses, like polarized lenses for glasses, has alternative sensible aspects yet auditions in new delhi.</p>.