Thread: ChiArts - The Chicago High School for the Arts

ChiArts - The Chicago High School for the Arts

Eighth-grade daughter and I went to the ChiArts open house today. It’s a little different from the others we’ve been to in that you have to register ahead of time for a spot. The entire “tour” is two hours long and highly organized, with numerous sessions of about 20-25 minutes each. The first session was an overview of the school in the auditorium, then the kids are split into smaller groups according to their areas of interest (theater, dance or visual arts) and hear from students, parents of current students, and faculty members. The theater kids also participated in a session of improv games led by a senior in the theater program.

We actually didn’t see too much of the facility, but it’s a school building from the 1960s at 35th and MLK Drive that they’ve used for the four years they’ve been open so far and will use another 2.5 years, until they move into the current Malcolm X College building near Rush/United Center.

The students have a general college prep curriculum with four years of language arts, math, science, social science and foreign language. They have all classes on Mondays and then block style on Tues/Thurs and Wed/Fri. The day goes from 8 am to 5 pm with academic classes from 8 to noon, then lunch/study hall or advisory until 2:00 pm and then the conservatory classes from 2 to 5. If they are participating in an actual production, then they’re often there until 7:00 pm or later. There are AP classes. The teachers seemed very smart and professional.

In order to get an invitation to audition, you have to prove that you have at least a stanine 5 for 7th grade ISATs and that you didn’t have 10 or more unexcused absences. After that minimum criteria is met, then they just go by highest scores on the audition rubric, and high academic achievement in elementary school is not considered. The average ACT score of their current seniors (taken last year) was 19. The current kids seemed to all love their experience, and -- no surprise from theater kids -- were very articulate and extroverted. The three mothers who answered questions said that if your child is serious about going on to study arts in college, that ChiArts school is already on the radar screen of all the big arts colleges/conservatories nationwide, and they very much want to attract ChiArts graduates. Everyone takes great pride in the school.

So overall, both my kid and I feel like the school is a real gem in our system, and anyone who has the opportunity to go is very lucky, especially if they live in the general area, including South Loop or Hyde Park. However, a commute of 75-90 minutes each way from the north side on top of a nine-hour school day would be exhausting for a teen who likes some down time and is not an early riser.

Post if you have any questions, and I'll answer if I can.

Thanks. This is really a good school. I know they are working to hire great teachers for all subjects, and their kids are motivated.

If you had to kill off an entire species

<p>There is (in my experience) a single "working" Saturn emulator, SSF, which is up to version .12 beta R4 now, which doesn sound very far, but believe me, it damn near miraculous. It can run most titles now, and provided you get a hold of the Japan and USA BIOS files, will operate pretty smoothly. There are still some issues with the sound (this has everything to do with those chips I mentioned before) but if you want to start emulating Saturn games, this is your best (and probably only) bet.</p>. <p>These kinds of forex trading tools enables you to gain profit inside a long operate. A good on the web tool should adapt in line with the changes available. It should additionally evaluate and correlate historic and present information as well as predict profit/loss. <p>Boston Terriers are intelligent, friendly and outgoing. They love to be around people and will benefit from a loving family "pack". Typically eager to please these dogs are so lovable you won't want to consider another breed. Coach Leather Crossbody Handbag
    Michael Kors Camo Luggage
    Michael Kors Scarf Yellow
    Louis Vuitton Messenger Bag Ebay
    Coach Scarf Knitting
    Are these people on the streets because of factors that are beyond their control, or did, for example, drug abuse cause them to go insane? You can argue that I lack empathy all day until you blue in the face. It doesn bother me a bit. To me you just another sap that is far too willing to make concession after concession for every damned excuse imaginable. <p>Tier 1: It doesn make sense to pay for really "high quality" t shirts, boxers, (basic) socks. Also, things that you are pretty sure are only going to be in style for a year or two (lots of types of shorts spring to mind). Workout cloths also go here. <p>Although, one city is nothing. In Galactic Civilizations, you can surrender to any one you damn well please. In GalCiv 2, you could even build a wonder that made it more likely for the AI to surrender to you. Longchamp Luggage Guru
    Longchamp Handbags Sale
    Longchamp Jacquard Bags Kraft
    Longchamp Bags Philippines Knife
    Longchamp Veau Foulonne Leather Wallet
    <p>There were two important developments in the 1930s that were to have a lasting and highly influential effect on fashion for decades to come. In 1927, Dr. Wallace Carothers was experimenting with new polymers and eventually Polyamide. I can probably figure out why they're broken if there is a way to do nice looking labels on a home printer, I just haven't seen it. I can do design, but I've got little experience in the physical space. I'm also completely lost on the packaging side of things. <p>Hi. Well we all know femme fatale was inspired in the 1940s of the glamorous times, sexy, sultry, glam, mysterious. So to dial your look up but still be in the modern day world, I have an example here on the manikin of how you could be femme fatale. Furla Uomo Bag Kids
    Fendi Belt Real Vs Fake
    Hermes Online Law
    Hermes Zipper Wallet Utility
    Hermes Purse Toronto