Thread: Singapore Math

Singapore Math

During one of the strike threads on the blog, several parents mentioned that they are using Singapore Math. I thought that it might be interesting to start a discussion here about it.

I bought a few supplemental workbooks from Amazon for my 5th grader, but I these are not the actual Singapore curriculum. For now, I did a mix of 4th and 5th grade, because, although she did well in Math, I think she really needs some good review to have a better foundation.

I am thinking of having her take the test for 4th grade and see how she does and then decide if we should go ahead and buy the regular books & workbooks.

I would love to here feedback and advice from other parents who are using Singapore math.

I'm happy to try to answer questions anyone may have regarding doing Singapore Math with their kids. I've afterschooled my now 8th grade DD and am currently afterschooling my 3rd grad DS.

I saw Singapore Math at Barnes & Noble today, I didn't crack the books at all so can't say how the content is compared to others my kids have tried, but compared to the printed workbooks, my kids have really found the web sites IXL.com and AdaptedMind.com to be very engaging.

My older daughter wants to switch back from IXL to AdaptedMind right now because it's faster to move on to the next tasks, she would get bored repeating the same exercises on IXL. For good or ill, from our experience, it seemed AdaptedMind didn't force you to do as much repetition to "master" a topic and move on.

I was super excited to find out yesterday that my first grader will be using Singapore Math at school this year. My 4th grader has been very poorly served by Math Trailblazers. She loves math, but we've definitely had to supplement at home because of the scattered nature of her math curriculum.

It's nice to know that some schools are looking for an effective math program. (I turned down LaSalle II for my daughter when I found out that they used Everyday Math. Blech.)

Quote Originally Posted by kikiholiday View Post
    I was super excited to find out yesterday that my first grader will be using Singapore Math at school this year.
    What school is that at, Kiki?

STEM. The 4th graders are using it too. I think they're trying it out to see how it goes. So far, my son likes it a lot, and I'm hoping it will give him a better base than Math Trailblazers did my daughter.