Thread: Alcott vs. Blaine

Alcott vs. Blaine

Can anyone share their thoughts on Alcott Elementary (e.g. Kindergarden program; extracurricular programs; aftercare programs; music, art, gym programs, etc)?

My daughter currently attends Blaine Elementary, and we planned to enroll her in kindergarden next year. We rent a small apartment in the Blaine school district so that she can attend school there. However, we would like to move out of the district and find housing in a more affordable neighborhood. We didn't think we'd have that option, though, until we received a call today from Alcott Elementary (from the lottery wait list). We need to register her by Monday if we'd like her to attend Alcott. Unfortunately we don't know much about Alcott and the school's website doesn't have many details.

While we like Blaine very much, it would be a financial burden to live here for the next 8 years. We'd prefer to live in a more affordable neighborhood and send our daughter to Alcott (since we don't need to live in any particular neighborhood) if Alcott is a also a great school. Any thoughts you may have are appreciated!

I don't know all the details about Alcott that you're asking, unfortunately. I know (probably as you do) that it's a very well regarded school with a good parent support network.
    All CPS schools will have full day K this fall, I'm certain Alcott has an afterschool program, and more kindergarteners (at any school) will be music, gym, and art, usually once a week each.
    Alcott does have a very early start time I know - just something to be aware of.

I imagine that you could stay at Blaine even if you moved away? If so, you have 2 very good options to choose from!

Since Alcott takes out-of-area kids, I imagine they might have more control over their class sizes (whereas Blaine is always full from the neighborhood) so another possible benefit of Alcott.

It's win/win for you either way. The schools are really good choices, just find a good neighborhood that you like and let the school choice be decided that way.