PDA

View Full Version : Application and testing process

Benji
06-10-2012, 08:00 PM
I am moving to Chicago in about two weeks and am hoping to get my son into the Gifted programs at one of the listed schools. I wanted to know from those that have been through the process: What are the necessary steps I should take to get my son tested? What is the process like? I am pretty sure that this coming school year may be out of the question but want to start preparing for the next school year as soon as possible.

Maude
06-10-2012, 11:24 PM
From what I understand, application can be done either on paper or online, and there is a booklet available that lays out the whole application process. Once you settle in, I'd get ahold of the booklet and then work at it systematically starting after the holiday season.

JenK
09-21-2012, 04:27 PM
Benji - The CPS website should have details on how to apply to schools mid-year as well as for next year. Starting October 1, applications are available for the 2013-14 school year. You can apply online for gifted/classical programs as well as magnet & neighborhood schools. Once you apply to a gifted/classical school, your child will automatically be scheduled for testing. You will need to request a user ID in order to apply online; that is also available on the cps website.

It would be a very wise idea to research neighborhood schools prior to moving here. Regardless of how bright your child(ren) is/are, the whole process is so random. I know kids who got into gifted and don't understand why, and kids who are clearly well above average -- and tested really well -- yet didn't get into any programs (and I'm not talking about my own kids :-) .