PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please

quirkychefs
11-12-2012, 01:29 PM
My son will be entering Kindergarten in the fall. I've been looking at magnets & magnet clusters. Unfortunately the thing I keep hearing is a lot of applications for a few spots. I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a good school that's open enrollment that has better odds for the lottery.

Thanks

Vinny
11-12-2012, 06:22 PM
LOL, that's kind of an impossible question for KG. Open enrollment neighborhood schools aren't really sure of the number of incoming KG students from their attendance area boundaries until they do some sort of neighborhood canvass, say in the late spring or early summer. Some don't even start calling people on the options waitlist until after school has started and they know how many slots they have available. There are some schools on the options list that will tell inquiring parents not to bother applying, they have no clue why their schools are on the options list in the first place.

However, McPherson (in Lincoln Square) seems to have a lot going for it right now as an open enrollment school. Large building, not filled to capacity, they've had the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (6-8 grade) for 10 years and are looking to add the IB Primary Years Programme wall-to-wall. They also went from three to four KG classes this year.

westrogersparkmom
11-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Courtney in Ravenswood is another one to take a look at. They have fliers at Chase Park indicating openings. Also Pierce in Andersonville seems to accept all applicants. It really depends on where you live and where you are willing to go.