PDA

View Full Version : Move Kindergartner from Waters to Courtenay?

sverre88
09-28-2012, 10:18 AM
If we get the chance to move our Kindergarten kid from Waters to Courtenay, should we take it? The former is much more convenient. But we're intrigued by the small size of the latter. Any thoughts? Thanks!

KMom
09-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Have you toured Courtenay? I did last fall while looking into Pre-K options for my sons and was very impressed with the staff/classrooms I saw. While I wouldn't have hesitated to send my kids there for Pre-K, I don't think I would have made that choice for K-8 (with the disclaimer that our home school is Coonley, so a school would have to be amazing for me to want to go out-of-neighborhood).

Basically, along with the postives Courtenay has as a small school (small classes, sense that everyone knows each other) come the negatives (the smallish gym is also the cafeteria, they didn't as of last year have full-time music/art/foreign language teachers).

It is difficult for them to fundraise for extra stuff with a smaller community that is highly low income. Although I know they do have a Friends of Courtenay up and running now.