PDA

View Full Version : Transfering into Gifted Program in 5th Grade

Broken_Orrery
09-27-2012, 06:48 PM
I'm wondering what the chances are of getting my kid into a gifted program in 5th grade (now in 4th grade).

I understand that I need to get "prequalified" but all I could find out about that was a reference to isat scores (my kids math/reading last year were 97/90, which, I think meets with the prequalification requirement.

Kristin
09-28-2012, 07:31 AM
I don't know what your chances are, but both my kids got into Options programs in 4th and 5th grades respectively. The prequalification requirements to take the SEES tests should be on the CPS web site, where I found them previously. The scores you listed would have qualified when my kids tested last. So far, the change to Options from private school been well worth the effort. Good luck.

-Y-
09-28-2012, 01:03 PM
The most difficult part is probably finding a program with an opening since the classes are typically full. A child has to transfer out of a program before a seat becomes available. You probably won't know until June or even later if a spot is available. Families don't frequently notify the schools that they are not returning until then.