PDA

View Full Version : Edison vs. Skinner North

Eric Fall K Dad
04-25-2013, 09:17 AM
My 2nd grade daughter is currently at Skinner North where she is doing great.

Just yesterday we got a letter offering her a seat at Edison RGC and we only have a few days to get back to them.

We're inclined to decline, simply because of logistics: her sister is also at Skinner North and Edison is a lot further away from where we live!

However, I don't want to dismiss Edison out of hand if it's a good opportunity for her...

Recommendations?

Eric Fall K Dad
04-25-2013, 01:17 PM
We have to decide by Monday.

The Edison RGC office said this is a busy time for them and they don't have time for us to come by and visit personally.

Plus, they just had an open house two weeks ago.

Makes sense, but it's hard for us to make an informed decision.

I guess we shouldn't bother to do testing unless we make the effort to go to open houses, lol.

Eric

Hopwood04
06-24-2013, 02:57 PM
How did this turn out? I would have jumped on Edison right away and figure out logistics later. It is such a good opportunity. Which did you choose?

Eric Fall K Dad
08-21-2013, 05:03 PM
First of all, I really like Skinner North's strong points. It's a bigger school with two classes per grade (vs. one class K-8 at Edison) and it's new, so if you want to be involved, you can definitely have a hand in shaping the school, and many, many parents are very involved, so you definitely feel like part of a new thriving community. The principal is fantastic.

I'm not actually sure why we chose Edison, because IMHO because they are both very top CPS schools, logistics should have trumped all else. Although we haven't even started the school year at Edison, I can say strong points include a new building, great facilities such as the science lab and also very involved parents, and also a track record of getting kids into competitive CPS high schools. SN's highest grade is still only 6 but will go up to 8, and based on current test scores should also do very well.

If anyone else ever has to choose between the two, I would recommend to choose whichever makes more sense transportation-wise, as they are both great schools from what I've seen.

Eric